Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday ramble

 Just a few random miles to bulk up my Bike to Work Week totals, which include bicycle trips one would have taken by car. I took the DuPage river Trail south from 87th Street to downtown Naperville. What a scenic ride, with the duck-filled river on your right as you head north. It's not all this pretty, but much of it is.


Einsten Bagels in downtown Naperville is my usual Saturday morning haunt. Today I tried a turkey sausage with salsa, which sounded tasty. The actual result was on a "thin" tasteless bagel and a tasteless turkey patty covered with a cylinder of tasteless egg whites, which I discarded. The "salsa" was a squirt of mexi-flavor gel. Blech, except for the fruit cup and the fountain Diet Coke. Next time I'll have my usual wheat bagel.

Behind the Naperville Police Station
is this picturesque pond with a surrounding bike path.




Anyway. Next stop: The Naperville Police Department, so I could register my new bike. Up Aurora Avenue I went -- but it turns out the Naperville Police Dept. doesn't work on weekends. At least, as far as bicycle registration goes.

The DuPage River Trail devolves into a series of backstreet left-right
turns in what used to be historic Naperville. These huge easy-credit
mansions -- built right out to the lot lines -- are replacing the
human-scale housing in downtown Naperville.
A stop at Ace Hardware for toilet parts, and back home. Total was 17.7 miles, which counts toward my Bike To Work Week total. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment